A group of bone china items

Spode tureen, cover and ladle painted with bouquets and sprays of flowers on a blue and gold scale pattern ground with beaded rim and base. Thirteen inches high and marked SPODE 1166 in red enamel. From the collection of the Earl of Lincoln, Christies June 1937; formerly in the collection of the 7th Duke of Newcastle at Clumber, Worksop, Nottinghamshire. Exhibited at Nottingham Castle Museum.

Latest News

  • Two historic items acquired by the Trust at the Trelissick sale
  • Work starts on a computerised catalogue of the ceramics collection
  • Spode Works Visitor Centre reopening Friday, 7th March 2014 following winter closure

CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS


WELCOME TO THE SPODE MUSEUM WEBSITE

The Spode Museum Trust was established in 1987, in order to protect the Spode Archive in perpetuity. The Spode Archive includes some 40,000 ceramic items spanning over 200 years from the late 18th Century to 2008. It also includes some 25,000 engraved copper plates from which transfer prints were made for printed ceramic wares. There are also collections of antique factory tools, furniture and moulds and ¼ million Spode and Copeland documents including watercolour paintings of some 70,000 ceramic patterns.

Because of time span and its near-completeness, the Archive enables unique insight into the history of a world famous factory from the Industrial Revolution to the present, its owners and employees during three centuries and its relevance to the local economy. The ceramics collection is of international standing, and ranges from spectacular items made for the very wealthy and the great 19th Century exhibitions to a definitive collection of Spode blue and white printed earthenwares and a wide variety of more ordinary wares made for domestic and export markets.

Archives and valuable collections from factories of world prestige with over 200 years of history, are very rare. Spode has been fortunate that so much remains intact. However, following the closure of Spode’s historic factory at Church Street, Stoke in 2009, the collection was put into secure storage and was therefore unavailable to public view.

Following receipt of a grant from Heritage Lottery Fund and with the support of Stoke on Trent City Council and others, our project, ‘Spode Works Visitor Centre’ opened in late 2012 in one of the historic buildings on the Church Street site. Subject to continued funding, it is intended that it will remain open to the public at least until the end of 2014. Details are on the ‘Spode Works Visitor Centre’ page.

The Trustees are continuing to work with a number of parties to establish a permanent home for the collection, hopefully in conserved historic buildings on the Spode Church Street site.